A heart-stopping debut thriller about a woman named Freedom, who will stop at nothing to save the daughter she only knew for two minutes and seventeen seconds.
Call me what you will: a murderer, a cop killer, a fugitive, a drunk…
There’s a lot people don’t know about Freedom Oliver. They know she works at the local bar. They know she likes a drink or two.
What they don’t know is that Freedom is not her real name. That she has spent the last eighteen years living under Witness Protection, after being arrested for her husband’s murder. They don’t know that she put her two children up for adoption, a decision that haunts her every day.
Then Freedom’s daughter goes missing, and everything changes. Determined to find her, Freedom slips her handlers and heads to Kentucky where her kids were raised. No longer protected by the government, she is tracked by her husband’s sadistic family, who are thirsty for revenge. But as she gets closer to the truth, Freedom faces an even more dangerous threat.
She just doesn’t know it yet.
About the author
Jax Miller was born in New York in 1985. She started writing Freedom’s Child while travelling around America on the back of a motorcycle and finished it in the peace and quiet of the Irish countryside. Within 24 hours of writing ‘The End’ she had been signed up by a literary agent, and a few days later she had a publishing deal. Freedom's Child is Jax’s debut novel and will be published in over a dozen languages. She lives in Ireland with her husband.
- ‘A terrific read from a powerful new voice ‘ Karin Slaughter
- ‘Original, compelling and seriously recommended.’ Lee Child
- ‘Seldom has a literary creation bounced off the page with as much raw vitality … one of the standout debuts of the year’ Guardian
- ‘There’s a reckless power to Miller’s untamed prose… And sometimes she’s just plain amazing’ New York Times
- ‘Crackles with intensity, keeping the reader gripped’ Express
- ‘Chilling … A compelling read, but don’t expect to get a good night’s sleep afterwards’ Sunday Times (Ireland)
- ‘A propulsive, full-throttle tale of revenge and redemption’ Irish Times
- ‘It’s fast, it’s furious and it takes no prisoners’ Sunday Independent (Ireland)
- ‘Jax Miller brings a unique strong female voice to the crime-thriller genre. A breath of fresh air.’ Cecelia Ahern
- ‘A relentless and fiercely compelling debut. Freedom’s Child will hold you captive until the very last page’ Richard Montanari
- ‘Freedom’s Child isn’t just a great debut, it’s a great book with one of the most angry, complex and compelling heroines this side of a certain girl with a certain tattoo’ Simon Toyne
- ‘I loved it. Such an original new voice’ Kate Medina
- ‘Brilliant’ Julia Crouch