Believing in magic makes dreams come true…
Jackie dreams of having a horse of her own, one that’ll be the fastest on the estate, the fastest in all Ireland and the fastest in the world. Mum dreams of a little cottage in the country for her and Jackie to live in.
What they get is a garden gnome that Jackie finds in a rubbish skip; one she lovingly repairs and paints; a gnome she calls Mr Skip.
And Jackie soon discovers that with Mr Skip, anything is possible.
About the author
Michael Morpurgo OBE is one of Britain's best-loved writers for children, and has sold more than 35 million books around the world. He has written more than 150 novels and won many prizes, including the Smarties Prize, the Whitbread Award and the Blue Peter Book Award, while several of his books have been adapted for stage and screen, including the global theatrical phenomenon War Horse. Michael was Children’s Laureate from 2003 to 2005, and founded the charity Farms for City Children with his wife, Clare. He was knighted in 2018 for services to literature and charity.
- Praise for Michael Morpurgo:“Michael Morpurgo writes brilliantly about war and animals, conveying the big emotions without preaching.” – The Guardian
- “Champagne quality over a wide range of subjects.” – Daily Telegraph
- “There are few children’s writers as compelling as Michael Morpurgo.” – Daily Express
- “Morpurgo’s gift is to make this long-ago world of danger and heartbreak accessible without ever patronising his young readers.” – Sunday Mercury
- “Morpurgo, as always, is subtle and skillful, and incorporates social and moral issues into his writing without being self-righteous or detracting from the quality of the narrative”Elizabeth Reilly – British Council
- “The former children’s laureate has the happy knack of speaking to both child and adult readers.” -The Guardian.