She can’t prove he did it. But she might die trying…
From the Sunday Times No.1 bestselling author of the Logan McRae series, comes a standalone spinoff featuring DS Roberta Steel.
Revenge is a dangerous thing…
Detective Chief Inspector Roberta Steel got caught fitting up Jack Wallace – that’s why they demoted her and quashed his sentence. Now he’s back on the streets and women are being attacked again. Wallace has to be responsible, but if Detective Sergeant Steel goes anywhere near him, his lawyers will get her thrown off the force for good.
The Powers That Be won’t listen to her, not after what happened last time. According to them, she’s got more than enough ongoing cases to keep her busy. Perhaps she could try solving a few instead of harassing an innocent man?
Steel knows Wallace is guilty. And the longer he gets away with it, the more women will suffer. The question is: how much is she willing to sacrifice to stop him?
About the author
Stuart MacBride is the No.1 Sunday Times bestselling author of the Logan McRae and Ash Henderson novels. He’s also published standalones, novellas and short stories as well as a children’s picture book. In 2017 he won Celebrity Mastermind (which surprised him more than anyone) – his specialist subject was the life and major works of A.A. Milne.Stuart lives in the northeast of Scotland with his wife Fiona, cats Grendel, Gherkin, Onion, and Beetroot, some hens, horses, and a vast collection of assorted weeds.
- ‘Excellent’ The Times Books of the Year
- ‘MacBride is blessed with a true skill … talk about a tale with bite’ Sun
- ‘One of the finest exponents of Tartan Noir … an express train of a story’ Daily Mail
- ‘Splendid’ Daily Telegraph
- ‘Laugh-out-loud comic set pieces interweave with crimes of raw depravity’ The Times Crime Club
- ‘MacBride’s skill in writing about truly terrible things with care and empathy is clear’ Scotsman
- Praise for Stuart MacBride:
- ‘Dark and gripping. A riveting page-turner’ Independent on Sunday
- ‘MacBride is a damned fine writer’ Peter James
- ‘A satisfyingly compelling thriller’ Sunday Mirror
- ‘Skilful storytelling … strong characterisation … both intriguing and engrossing’ Guardian
- ‘MacBride’s thrillers just keep getting better’ Express
- ‘Exciting … a guaranteed bestseller’ Literary Review
- ‘Unmissable … Superb storytelling’ Sun
- ‘Crime fiction of the highest order’ Mark Billingham
- ‘A terrific writer … Logan McRae is a delight’ The Times