Fifty years after The Andromeda Strain made Michael Crichton a household name – and spawned a new genre, the technothriller – the threat returns, in a gripping sequel that is terrifyingly realistic and resonant.
THE EVOLUTION IS COMING
In 1967, an extraterrestrial microbe—designated the Andromeda Strain—came crashing down to Earth and nearly ended the human race. A team of top scientists assigned to Project Wildfire worked valiantly to save the world from an epidemic of unimaginable proportions. In the ensuing decades, research on the microparticle continued. And the world thought it was safe.…
Deep inside Fairchild Air Force Base, Project Eternal Vigilance has continued to watch and wait for the Andromeda Strain to reappear. For years, the project has registered no activity—until now. A Brazilian terrain-mapping drone has detected a bizarre anomaly of otherworldly matter, and, worse yet, the tell-tale chemical signature of the deadly microparticle.
With this shocking discovery, the next-generation Project Wildfire is activated, and a diverse team of experts hailing from all over the world is dispatched to investigate the potentially apocalyptic threat.
But the microbe is growing—evolving. And if the Wildfire team can’t reach the quarantine zone, enter the anomaly, and figure out how to stop it, this new Andromeda Evolution will annihilate all life as we know it.
About the author
Michael Crichton (1942–2008) was the author of the bestselling novels The Terminal Man, The Great Train Robbery, Jurassic Park, Sphere, Disclosure, Prey, State of Fear, Next, and Dragon Teeth, among many others. His books have sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, have been translated into forty languages, and have provided the basis for fifteen feature films.Daniel H. Wilson is a Cherokee citizen and author of the New York Times bestselling Robopocalypse and its sequel, Robogenesis, as well as ten other books. Wilson lives in Portland, Oregon.
- ‘The Andromeda Evolution is both a kick ass sequel and a loving tribute to one of the greatest science fiction novels ever written. Daniel H. Wilson has taken up Crichton’s mantle and reinvented the techno-thriller, by continuing the tale that invented that genre. This is a meticulously crafted adventure story, packed with action, mystery, wonder, and just enough hard science to scare the hell out of you. So good!’ Ernest Cline, author of Ready Player One
- Praise for Michael Crichton:
- ‘A gripping and entertaining read’ Sunday Times
- ‘Exciting … a master storyteller’ Sunday Telegraph
- ‘This is Crichton on top form, preying on our fears about new technology and convincing us that we aren’t half as afraid as we should be’ The Times
- ‘Terrific fun. The pages whip by’ Independent
- ‘One of the most ingenious, inventive thriller writers around… Another high-concept treat… written in consummate page-turning style’ Observer
- ‘Mixing cutting-edge science with thrills and spills, this is classic Crichton’ Daily Mirror
- ‘Crichton masterfully maintains the suspense throughout the fast-paced story … Prey will invade your nightmares for a long time to come’ Time Out
- ‘A satirical black-comedy thriller… Crichton writes likes Tom Wolfe on speed… completely brilliant…’ Daily Mail
- ‘Crichton pulls off a slick thriller at a cracking pace’ Daily Telegraph
- ‘A gripping, impeccably researched thriller’ Evening Standard
- ‘A fun, suspenseful, entertaining, well-told tale’ USA Today
- ‘Dazzling … A bravura performance … As well built a thrill machine as a suspense novel can be’ New York Times
- ‘Filled with colorful Wild West characters’ Washington Post