The Sunday Times No. 1 bestseller!
The highly anticipated new thriller from internationally bestselling author Karin Slaughter, featuring Will Trent and Sara Linton
It begins with an abduction. The routine of a family shopping trip is shattered when Michelle Spivey is snatched as she leaves the mall with her young daughter. The police search for her, her partner pleads for her release, but in the end…they find nothing. It’s as if she disappeared into thin air.
A month later, on a sleepy Sunday afternoon, medical examiner Sara Linton is at lunch with her boyfriend Will Trent, an agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. But the serenity of the summer’s day is broken by the wail of sirens.
Sara and Will are trained to help in an emergency. Their jobs – their vocations – mean that they run towards a crisis, not away from it. But on this one terrible day that instinct betrays them both. Within hours the situation has spiralled out of control; Sara is taken prisoner; Will is forced undercover. And the fallout will lead them into the Appalachian mountains, to the terrible truth about what really happened to Michelle, and to a remote compound where a radical group has murder in mind…
About the author
Karin Slaughter is one of the world’s most popular and acclaimed storytellers. Published in 120 countries with more than 35 million copies sold across the globe, her 19 novels include the Grant County and Will Trent books, as well as the Edgar-nominated Cop Town and the instant Sunday Times bestselling novels Pretty Girls, The Good Daughter, and Pieces of Her. Slaughter is the founder of the Save the Libraries project—a nonprofit organization established to support libraries and library programming. A native of Georgia, Karin Slaughter lives in Atlanta. Her standalone novels Pieces of Her, The Good Daughter and Cop Town are in development for film and television.
- ‘Prepare for a rollercoaster ride, Slaughter is back with a vengeance’ Woman
- ‘Fans will rejoice as popular characters Will Trent and Sara Linton make an explosive comeback’ Woman’s Weekly
- ‘A helter skelter ride’ Financial Times
- Praise for Karin Slaughter:
- ‘I’d follow her anywhere’ Gillian Flynn
- ‘One of the boldest thriller writers working today’ Tess Gerritsen
- ‘Her characters, plot, and pacing are unrivalled’ Michael Connelly
- ‘Passion, intensity, and humanity’ Lee Child
- ‘A writer of extraordinary talents’ Kathy Reichs
- ‘Fiction doesn’t get any better than this’ Jeffery Deaver
- ‘A great writer at the peak of her powers’ Peter James
- ‘Karin Slaughter has – by far – the best name of all of us mystery novelists’ James Patterson
- ‘Raw, powerful and utterly gripping’ Kathryn Stockett
- ‘With heart and skill Karin Slaughter keeps you hooked from the first page until the last’ Camilla Lackberg
- ‘It’s big, dark, rich, satisfying, and bloody – like a perfectly cooked steak’ Stuart MacBride
- ‘The best yet’ Lesley Pearse
- ‘Amongst the world‘s greatest and finest crime writers’ Yrsa Sigurðardóttir
- ‘Smart, gripping and packed with enthralling characters, this darkly addictive tale will reel you in from the get-go’ Heat
- ‘The queen of the explosive thriller’ Good Housekeeping
- ‘Buckle up for an exhilarating read’ Prima
- ‘Slaughter skilfully juggles her twin time frames and delivers a taut, complex and unusually thoughtful thriller’ Mail on Sunday Event Magazine
- ‘A great read’ Daily Mail
- ‘The best suspense novel of the year’ Daily Express
- ‘Fierce, savagely well-written’ Metro
- ‘Slaughter judiciously keeps the characterisation of her imperilled protagonists to the fore’ Guardian