An epic middle grade supernatural adventure series, soon to be a major movie starring Marsai Martin. Perfect for readers aged 8+ and fans of Percy Jackson, Nevermoor and Men in Black.
Amari Peters knows three things.
Her big brother Quinton has gone missing.
No one will talk about it.
His mysterious job holds the secret …
So when Amari gets an invitation to the Bureau of Supernatural Affairs, she’s certain this is her chance to find Quinton. But first she has to get her head around the new world of the Bureau, where mermaids, aliens and magicians are real, and her roommate is a weredragon.
Amari must compete against kids who’ve known about the supernatural world their whole lives, and when each trainee is awarded a special supernatural talent, Amari is given an illegal talent – one that the Bureau views as dangerous.
With an evil magician threatening the whole supernatural world, and her own classmates thinking she is the enemy, Amari has never felt more alone. But if she doesn’t pass the three tryouts, she may never find out what happened to Quinton …
B. B. Alston lives in Lexington, SC. Amari and the Night Brothers is his debut middle grade novel. When not writing, he can be found eating too many sweets and exploring country roads to see where they lead.
Cover artwork from rising star artist Brittany Jackson.
About the author
B.B. Alston started writing in middle school, entertaining his classmates with horror stories starring the whole class where not everyone survived! After several years of trying to break into publishing, he had just been accepted into a biomedical graduate program when a chance entry into a twitter pitch contest led to his signing with his agent, 20+ book deals worldwide, and even a film deal. When not writing, he can be found eating too many sweets and exploring country roads to see where they lead.B.B. was inspired to write AMARI AND THE NIGHT BROTHERS because he couldn’t find any fantasy stories featuring Black kids when he was growing up. He hopes to show kids that though you might look different, or feel different, whatever the reason, your uniqueness needn’t only be a source of fear and insecurity. There is great strength and joy to be found in simply accepting yourself for who you are. Because once you do so, you’ll be unstoppable.
- ‘Sharp, funny and brightly imaginative – a big adventure filled with magic and heart’, Jessica Townsend, New York Times bestselling author of the Nevermoor series
- ‘An enchanting fantasy adventure filled with heart and soul. Amari is magical!’, Angie Thomas, New York Times-bestselling author of The Hate U Give
- ‘As a former black girl misfit who wanted nothing more in the world than to be magical, this book is a song to my soul. Amari is the heroine we all need.’, Nic Stone, New York Times-bestselling author of Dear Martin
- ‘The surprises and story never slow down for a minute in this magical, astonishing world, with a heroine who’s like Buffy meets Meg Murry multiplied by Shuri to the power of awesome. I want to live in Amari’s world and watch her save it (or have her come here and save ours!)!’, Tui Sutherland, bestselling author of the Wings of Fire series
- ‘Clever, imaginative, and filled with heart. I loved every magical page.’, J.C. Cervantes, New York Times-bestselling author of The Storm Runner
- ‘Funny, fast-paced, and ultimately moving, B.B. Alston’s debut is a rousing success and kicks off a series that will truly stand out from the rest!’, Soman Chainani, author of the bestselling The School for Good and Evil series
- ‘The author weaves magical whimsy with honest, realistically portrayed circumstances, allowing Amari’s literal #BlackGirlMagic to shine even when she doesn’t believe in herself. This timely, energetic, first-person narrative moves quickly with clear descriptions, a thrilling buildup, and strong messages about profiling. An impressive debut series opener.’, Kirkus Reviews
- ‘This powerful story of bravery and family had me in its clutches from the very start. It’s fresh and bursting with imagination and magic with a first-rate protagonist – I can’t wait for the next book’, Jasbinder Bilan, author of Costa Book Award winning Asha & the Spirit Bird