“One of America’s greatest storytellers.” – Stephen King
The new thriller from the #1 international bestseller – the start of a brand new trilogy
‘Superb. This is storytelling with a keen edge. City on Fire is exhilarating to read.’ — Stephen King
A Times Best Book for 2022
Providence, RI, 1986.
Twenty-nine-year-old Danny Ryan is a hard-working longshoreman, loving husband, loyal friend, and occasional “muscle” for the Irish crime syndicate that oversees much of the city. He yearns for something more and dreams of starting over fresh, someplace far away.
But when a modern-day Helen of Troy triggers a war between rival mob factions, Danny is embroiled in a conflict he can’t escape. Now it is up to him to step into the breach to protect his family, the friends who are closer to him than brothers, and the only home he’s ever known.
Exploring classic themes of loyalty, betrayal, honour, and corruption on both sides of the law, City on Fire is a contemporary Iliad from Don Winslow, “one of America’s greatest storytellers” (Stephen King).
About the author
Don Winslow is the author of nineteen acclaimed, award-winning, international bestsellers – including the No. 1 international bestseller The Cartel, winner of the Ian Fleming Steel Dagger Award, The Power of the Dog, Savages, and The Winter of Frankie Machine – several of which have been made into movies or are in development. A former investigator, anti-terrorist trainer, and trial consultant, Winslow lives in Southern California.
- ‘Pure genius! Nobody can bring such grit and such heart to crime fiction as Don Winslow—and with such a unique and compelling stylistic voice.’ Jeffery Deaver
- ‘Winslow is our Dickens of modern crime. I can’t think of anyone better at what he does.’ Linwood Barclay, the international No.1 bestseller
- ‘Superb. This is storytelling with a keen edge. City on Fire is exhilarating to read.’ Stephen King
- ‘Epic, ambitious, majestic, City on Fire is The Godfather for our generation.’ Adrian McKinty, #1 bestselling author of The Chain
- ‘Echoing Homer’s epic Iliad, Winslow delivers a fast-paced, intense, and brooding story. It’s perfect for readers of William Boyle, James Lee Burke, and Dennis Lehane.’ Library Journal
- ‘Rich in action and riveting characters, hugely entertaining, City on Fire brings the reader into a fable about the escalating stakes of underworld warfare, with an emotional depth that lingers long after the book is finished’ Kyle Perry, author of The Bluffs
- ‘Don Winslow’s City on Fire is a masterpiece – wonderfully crafted, beautifully written, and a propulsive, authentic page-turner’ Christian White, author of The Nowhere Child
- Praise for Don Winslow
- “A master of thrills shows his range, and his bite . . . [Winslow is] a writer from whom others can learn the ropes.”—New York Times (on Broken)
- “The Border guides us through a savage, wholly believable world. The result is a powerful—and painful—journey through a contemporary version of hell. Rarely has hell been so compelling.”— Washington Post (on The Border)
- “The Border is intricate, mean and swift… The stories unravel broken lives caught in a mesmerizing mosaic fueled by addiction and haunted by bloodshed.”— Los Angeles Times (on The Border)
- “Winslow brings incisively-researched details, gut-wrenching plotlines, and infinite heart to his all-too-real, highly compassionate tale.”—Boston Globe (on The Force)