Shortlisted for the Crimefest Last Laugh Award and the Crimefest eDunnit Award 2019
‘As gripping and funny as his first thriller’ Ben Aaronovitch
Reluctant spy. Trained assassin.
WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?
JAY QASIM is back home in West London and in pursuit of normality. He’s swapped dope-dealing for admin, and spends his free time at the local Muslim Community Centre or cruising around Hounslow in his beloved BMW. No-one would guess that he was the MI5 spy who foiled the most devastating terrorist attack in recent history.
But Jay’s part in sabotaging Ghurfat-Al-Mudarris’ hit on London didn’t pass unnoticed.
IMRAN SIDDIQUI was trained to kill in Afghanistan by the terrorist cell who saved his life after his home was destroyed by war. The time has finally come for him to repay them – throwing him headlong into the path of Jay Qasim.
Now, they must each decide whose side they’re really on.
About the author
Born in Karachi, Pakistan in 1975 Khurrum moved to England when he was one. He is a west London boy and now lives in Berkshire with his wife and two sons.Khurrum is currently working as a Senior IT Officer but his real love is writing. He has a screenplay which has been optioned by a Danish TV producer but is now concentrating on novels.
- Praise for Homegrown Hero:
- ‘Thrilling and immersive …violence, love, humour and razor-sharp observation keep the pages turning’ Sunday Times Crime Club
- ‘A timely addition to the new breed of socially committed British thrillers.’ Guardian
- ‘Brilliantly epic. Jay is now definitely one of my favourite fictional characters ever. Homegrown Hero is a wild ride of hilarity and horror – I spent the final pages reading madly and clutching my head.’ lizlovesbooks.com
- ‘I thought that Khurrum Rahman’s first novel, East Of Hounslow, was very good. Homegrown Hero is even better. An absolutely cracking story which is full of tension, extremely exciting and which I found difficult to put down. Absolutely excellent’ Sid N, Netgalley
- ‘I was gripped from start to finish.’ Elaine T, Netgalley
- ‘Nail biting … With a splash of humour, a likeable protagonist, and a sympathetic antagonist you can’t help but root for too, there really is little not to like.’ James P, Netgalley
- Praise for East of Hounslow:
- ‘A brilliant thriller. You’d be mad not to buy this.’Ben Aaronovitch
- ‘Sweary, funny and, above all, an absolutely cracking thriller that you’ll tear through, this is the anti-James Bond that the 21st century needs’ Emerald Street
- ‘East of Hounslow, in which a young Muslim finds himself forced to become an MI5 plant in a group of jihadists, is as British as Nelson’s Colum…[a] superb and exciting debut novel’ Telegraph
- A ‘very funny, tense thriller…Think Four Lions meets Phone Shop’Red
- ‘As much a coming-of-age story as a full-on action thriller, East of Hounslow is thought-provoking and entirely gripping.’ Guardian
- ‘Builds to a heart-constricting climax’ Times Crime Club
- ‘Hilarious. Brilliant. So absorbing, you forget the rest of the world exists.’ Christine, Northern Crime