The New York Times Bestselling master of suspense is back with a riveting thriller, as reward seeker Colter Shaw plunges into the woods and races the clock in a case where nothing is quite what it seems.
THERE ARE TWO FUNDAMENTAL RULES OF SURVIVAL.
#1: NEVER BE WITHOUT A MEANS OF ESCAPE.
Allison Parker is on the run with her teenage daughter, Hannah, and Colter Shaw has been hired by her eccentric boss, entrepreneur Marty Harmon, to find and protect her. Though he’s an expert at tracking missing persons—even those who don’t wish to be found—Shaw has met his match in Allison, who brings all her skills as a brilliant engineer designing revolutionary technology to the game of evading detection.
#2: NEVER BE WITHOUT ACCESS TO A WEAPON.
The reason for Allison’s panicked flight is soon apparent. She’s being stalked by her ex-husband, Jon Merritt. Newly released from prison and fueled by blinding rage, Jon is a man whose former profession as a police detective makes him uniquely suited for the hunt. And he’s not alone. Two hitmen are also hot on her heels—an eerie pair of thugs who take delight not only in murder but in the sport of devising clever ways to make bodies disappear forever. Even if Shaw manages to catch up with Allison and her daughter, his troubles will just be beginning.
SHAW IS ABOUT TO DISCOVER RULE #3:
NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING.
As Shaw ventures further into the wilderness, the truth becomes as hard to decipher as the forest’s unmarked trails…and peril awaits at every turn.
About the author
Jeffery Deaver is the No.1 international bestselling author of more than forty novels, three collections of short stories, and a nonfiction law book. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into twenty-five languages.
- Praise for The Colter Shaw series:
- “Gripping and ingenious tale of greed and deception in the American wilderness” The Times Thriller of the Month
- “Deaver balances suspense and plausibility perfectly…This is a perfect jumping-on point for readers new to one of today’s top contemporary thrillers writers.” Publishers Weekly
- “Deaver’s reputation as a master of the corkscrewing plot is well earned… Colter Shaw seems certain to become an enduring series lead.” Booklist
- Praise for The Never Game:
- ‘The Never Game is the very definition of a page-turner’ Ian Rankin
- ‘Terrific writing, vivid and raw, Deaver grips from the very first line and never lets up. He is, hands-down, one of the finest thriller writers of our time’ Peter James
- ‘Nailbiting’ Guardian
- ‘Deaver is a masterful storyteller and he’s on top form with The Never Game’ Daily Express
- ‘As always, Deaver gets you in his stealthy grip on page one, and then takes you on a wild and inventive ride …this time with new star character Colter Shaw. No one in the world does this kind of thing better than Deaver’ Lee Child
- ‘Masterful storytelling — The Never Game is Deaver’s most riveting, most twisty, most unputdownable novel yet’ Karin Slaughter
- ‘Lightning-fast and loaded with twists, The Never Game is a thrill a minute from one of the best. Don’t miss it’ Harlan Coben
- ‘Jeffery Deaver scores yet again with a fascinating new detective, Colter Shaw, and a plot as full of thrills and twists and turns as you would expect from him. With The Never Game you know you are in the hands of a master. But be warned—don’t start this too late in the evening because sleep would be an annoying interruption once you’ve started reading!’ Peter Robinson