From Dan Lepard, the country’s favourite baker and author of ‘Short and Sweet’, an allergy-aware baking book that caters to every diet, without compromising on taste or quality.
Gluten intolerance, lactose intolerance, nut allergies, wheat-free diets – restrictions on what people can eat seem to be constantly increasing. And, even if you don’t have a food allergy, cutting back on sugar is on everyone’s minds now. ‘Shared’ will help you fit the food you want to cook or bake with those diets you have to please.
Manoeuvring around these diet challenges can seem complex, but in practice all you need is a selection of good adaptable recipes: a simple golden cake made without gluten or eggs; chewy, richly flavoured grain-free bars; a pastry that’s wheat free but delicate and crisp. With many ideas for alternative flavours and tweaks, you will be able to increase what you can bake ten-fold: a sweet potato chocolate ‘fudge’ filling can be made free of processed sugar, and then flavoured with liquorice for small tarts, or set in a grain-free pecan crust, or even turned into a luscious topping to be poured over fresh wine-poached pears.
Packed with Dan’s infallible recipes, ‘Shared’ takes inspiration from the restriction on ingredients to produce dishes that are even more delicious, and healthy, than the original. It will be a book for anyone to cook from, not just those with allergies or intolerances, and is the next baking classic from the acclaimed author of ‘Short and Sweet’.
About the author
Dan Lepard is a baker and photographer who has worked with the likes of Ottolenghi, Giorgio Locatelli and Fergus Henderson. He is the author of Short and Sweet and The Handmade Loaf and has a very popular baking column in the Saturday Guardian. He writes frequently for Sainsbury’s Magazine and is also currently designing a range of baking products for Sainsbury’s. Originally from Australia, he now lives in London.
- Praise for Dan Lepard:
- ‘Dan is by far the most talented and creative baker I know.’ Yotam Ottolenghi
- ‘One of my cookery heroes, Dan’s recipes ooze originality, precision and above all, irresistible deliciousness’ Sarah Randell, Sainsbury’s Magazine
- ‘Lepard is an exceptionally talented baker.’ Bee Wilson, Sunday Times, Books of the Year
- Praise for Short and Sweet:‘Just when I think I’ll never need another cookery book along comes Dan Lepard’s Short & Sweet to tease, delight, beguile and tempt. This man has never, ever let me down.’ Nigel Slater
- ‘Dan demystifies the baker’s art … all kinds of seductive treats become instantly achievable’ Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
- ‘Once a decade, probably, a book comes out that has both hundreds of recipes, tested by normal people rather than other chefs, but is also idiosyncratic and inventive and could only have been written by that person. I commend to you this rare all-rounder Short & Sweet, a very generous compendium of everything you can possibly do with every possible kind of flour.’ Zoe Williams, Guardian, Books of the Year
- ‘You can trust Lepard not only to give workable tips, but baking ideas that match the food we love to eat. This is baking that raises the cook to another level.’ Rose Prince, Daily Telegraph, Books of the Year
- ‘Possibly the only [baking book] you actually need. There are deliciously enticing recipes here [and] Lepard’s explanations of ingredients and techniques are brilliantly clear.’ Lucas Hollweg, Sunday Times, Books of the Year