The #1 New York Times bestselling author returns with a visionary technothriller about climate change
‘Stephenson’s reputation as a sci-fi titan is deserved’ Sunday Times
‘His most visionary, and timely, book yet’ Chicago Review of Books
‘Absorbing speculative fiction’ Guardian
‘Brilliantly entertaining… at science fiction’s cutting edge’ SFX
‘Ingenious and sometimes prophetic’ Telegraph
Neal Stephenson’s sweeping, prescient new novel transports readers to a near-future world where the greenhouse effect has inexorably resulted in a whirling-dervish troposphere of superstorms, rising sea levels, global flooding, merciless heat waves, and virulent, deadly pandemics.
One man has a Big Idea for reversing global warming, a master plan perhaps best described as “elemental.” But will it work? And just as important, what are the consequences for the planet and all of humanity should it be applied?
As only Stephenson can, Termination Shock sounds a clarion alarm, ponders potential solutions and dire risks, and wraps it all together in an exhilarating, witty, mind-expanding speculative adventure.
About the author
NEAL STEPHENSON is the author of: Fall or, Dodge in Hell; The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. (with Nicole Galland); Seveneves, Reamde, Anathem; the three-volume historical epic The Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World); Cryptonomicon, The Diamond Age, Snow Crash and Zodiac, and the groundbreaking nonfiction work In the Beginning . . . Was the Command Line.
- ‘Absorbing speculative fiction’ Guardian
- ‘Neal Stephenson has never been afraid of engaging with big ideas within genre forms, and Termination Shock might be his most visionary, and timely, book yet’ Chicago Review of Books
- ‘Brilliantly entertaining… at science fiction’s cutting edge’ SFX
- ‘Wonderfully human… ingenious and sometimes prophetic… Stephenson has become a totemic figure for 21st century scientific writers’ Daily Telegraph
- ‘Stephenson’s reputation as a sci-fi titan is deserved’ Sunday Times