It has been called the political crime of the century: This book from Pulitzer Prize-winning Washington Post reporter Greg Miller uncovers for the first time the truth behind the Kremlin’s attempt to put Trump in the White House, how they did it, when and why.
This exclusive book uncovers the truth behind the Kremlin’s interference in Donald Trump’s win and Trump’s steadfast allegiance to Vladimir Putin. Drawing on interviews with hundreds of people in Trump’s inner circle, the intelligence communities, foreign officials, and confidential documents. The Apprentice offers exclusive information about:
• the hacking of the Democrats by Russian intelligence;
• Russian hijacking of Facebook and Twitter;
• National Security Adviser Michael Flynn’s hidden communications with the Russians;
• the attempt by Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, to create a secret backchannel to Moscow using Russian diplomatic facilities;
• Trump’s disclosure to Russian officials of highly classified information about Israeli intelligence operations;
• Trump’s battles with the CIA and the FBI and fierce clashes within the West Wing;
• Trump’s efforts to enlist the director of national intelligence and the director of the National Security Agency to push back against the FBI’s investigation of his campaign;
• the mysterious Trump Tower meeting;
• the firing of FBI Director James Comey;
• the appointment of Mueller and the investigation that has followed;
• the internal battles within Trump’s legal camp;
• and Trump’s jaw-dropping behaviour in Helsinki.
Deeply reported and masterfully told, The Apprentice is essential reading for anyone trying to understand Vladimir Putin’s secret operation, its catastrophic impact, and the nature of betrayal.
About the author
Greg Miller is a national security reporter at the Washington Post. He was on the paper’s team awarded the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for coverage of U.S. surveillance programs revealed by Edward Snowden and the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for reporting Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign and the resulting investigations of the Trump campaign and administration.
- ‘The most comprehensive account of the Trump-Russia story to date… Miller trots expertly through this troubling tale’ Sunday Times
- ‘[A] lucid and startling account… the clearest account yet of what Russia actually did’ The Times