*THE SUNDAY TIMES BESTSELLER*
Fearlessly frank and funny, the debut adult novel from Dawn O’Porter is the book that everybody needs to read right now.
A piece of meat; born to breed; past its sell-by-date; one of the herd.
Three women. A whole world of judgement.
Tara, Cam and Stella are very different women. Yet in a society that sets the agenda, there’s something about being a woman that ties invisible bonds between us.
When one extraordinary event rockets Tara to online infamy, their three worlds collide in ways they could never imagine – and they discover that one woman’s catastrophe might just be another’s inspiration.
Through friendship and conflict, difference and likeness, they’ll learn to find their own voices.
Because sometimes it’s OK not to follow the herd.
About the author
DAWN O’PORTER is a novelist, columnist and broadcaster who lives in Los Angeles with her husband Chris, sons Art and Valentine, cat Lilu and dog Potato. She has made numerous documentaries about all sorts of things: polygamy, childbirth, Geisha, body image, breast cancer and even the movie Dirty Dancing. She is the critically acclaimed author of Paper Aeroplanes and Goose.Dawn hosts and produces ‘Get it On’, a podcast where she interviews interesting people about why they wear what they wear. She also collects vintage clothing, and admits to writing her best work when she is wearing a bonkers seventies dress and her hair is a voluminous bob.
- ‘A funny, smart, kind, incredibly truthful book about women . . . all the shame, judgement, envy and love that being alive and female entails’ Polly Vernon
- ‘Fierce and funny’ Bryony Gordon, DAILY TELEGRAPH
- ‘Smart and insightful’ RED
- ‘Dawn’s writing is addictive – fearless, beyond feisty and seriously funny’ Mel Giedroyc
- ‘O’Porter’s wise and witty narrative has many thought-provoking situations and concepts. Different, poignant and smart – I loved it’ Sara Lawrence, DAILY MAIL
- ‘Compulsive… I can’t wait for the next one’ Shappi Khorsandi
- ‘Feisty characters and fearless prose, THE COWS is totally addictive’ HEAT
- ‘Sometimes hilarious and sometimes poignant, but always rollicking and fast-paced . . . A feel-good read which will resonate with any woman’ DAILY EXPRESS
- ‘Entertaining and thought-provoking’ IRISH TIMES
- ‘A zippy and hilarious book… tackles some of the most serious issues that affect modern women today’ THE POOL
- ‘Fearless, frank and excruciatingly funny’ OK
- ‘A whirlwind of a story about three women finding their voice amid societal pressures . . . Excellent, funny, and decidedly unpatronising – as candid as Dawn’ METRO
- ‘An amazing book about choices and being yourself’ PRIMA
- ‘Funny and excruciating. You’ll think about it for weeks!’ Kristen Wiig
- ‘I loved it. Funny, moving, twisty . . . Wow! I couldn’t stop reading it’ Jill Mansell
- ‘A terrifically fun read’ YOU magazine
- ‘Fast, fun and fearless… a warning bell about social media and the damage it can cause’ S Magazine
- ‘The Cows looks at motherhood and female friendship through a frank and funny prism that reminds me of the TV show Catastrophe. Smart, fresh and really readable – I loved it’ Tasmina Perry
- ‘Fast and funny’ WOMAN & HOME
- ‘We’ve had Bridget Jones now THE COWS is setting the agenda for a new generation of readers’ No 1 Magazine