COMPETITION. PERFECTION. DESTRUCTION.
‘A tight, frightening story of friendship, rivalry and obsession, told in sparse and beautiful prose.’ Abigail Dean, author of GIRL A
A DANGEROUS OBSESSION
Martina wants to be the best gymnast in the world. But so does everyone around her.
A TOURNAMENT WITH A DIFFERENCE
During one week of intense competition, Martina and her teammates are tested to the limit, and any sign of weakness can quickly spell the end.
A MURDER IN THE NIGHT
By the end of the week, one of the gymnasts will be dead. Every girl will do anything to win…but at what cost?
‘Brutal and brilliant – I read it in one sitting.’ HARRIET TYCE, author of BLOOD ORANGE
‘A glimpse into a wonderfully dangerous, screwed up world. I couldn’t put it down.’ CESCA MAJOR, author of THE OTHER GIRL
About the author
Ilaria Bernardini was born in Milan and is an author andscriptwriter. Her novel Faremo Foresta was longlisted forItaly’s prestigious Strega Prize and she has created TVshows including Ginnaste and Ballerini (MTV) and haswritten for Ciak, Tutto Musica, Linus, Rolling Stone,Amica, Vanity Fair and GQ. The Girls Are Good is basedon her novel Corpo Libero which subsequently morphedinto a cult reality show. This story was inspired by Ilaria’sexclusive behind-the-scenes exposure to the controversiesthat have gripped the world of gymnastics over the pastdecade. The book has already been optioned by Indigoproductions along with All 3Media (the company behindFleabag) for an eight-part TV series.
- ‘A tight, frightening story of friendship, rivalry and obsession, told in sparse and beautiful prose. Tense as the space between the uneven bars.’ ABIGAIL DEAN, author of GIRL A
- ‘What a book! A stunning and revealing look the world of elite gymnastics. An unforgettable debut.’ JO JAKEMAN, author of STICKS AND STONES
- ‘Brutal and brilliant – I read it in one sitting.’ HARRIET TYCE, author of BLOOD ORANGE
- ‘Dark, disturbing, desperately sad – I was totally gripped. What an incredible setting for a novel – a glimpse into a wonderfully dangerous, screwed up world. I couldn’t put it down.’ CESCA MAJOR, author of THE OTHER GIRL
- ‘A fascinating and heart-breaking insight into the world of competitive gymnastics by an author who clearly knows this world inside out. Amazing characterisation of these young girls and a compelling and suspenseful story. Loved this book – it is unlike anything else I’ve read. I continued to think about it a lot once I’d finished.’ CATHERINE COOPER, author of THE CHALET
- ‘Powerful, claustrophobic, shocking and heart-breaking.’ JANE SHEMILT, author of THE PATIENT
- ‘I absolutely loved this book – I couldn’t put it down. Twisted in every sense of the word and so, so dark – it’s absolutely brilliant.’ NIKKI SMITH, author of ALL IN HER HEAD
- ‘What a haunting novel. Cruel, barbed, disturbing, poignant – and it opened my eyes to an industry so graceful and effortless, and the intensity of a group of young people.’ LIV MATTHEWS, author of THE PRANK