Imagine making friends with a polar bear… The Last Bear is perfect for readers of 8+, beautifully illustrated throughout by Levi Pinfold – winner of the Kate Greenaway Medal and illustrator of Harry Potter 20th anniversary edition covers.
“This is an important first novel, important for us, for polar bears, for the planet. It is deeply moving, beautifully told, quite unforgettable.” Michael Morpurgo.
There are no polar bears left on Bear Island. At least, that’s what April’s father tells her when his scientific research takes them to this remote Arctic outpost for six months. But one endless summer night, April meets one. He is starving, lonely and a long way from home. Determined to save him, April begins the most important journey of her life…
This moving story will win the hearts of children the world over and show them that no one is too young or insignificant to make a difference. The Last Bear is a celebration of the love between a child and an animal, a battle cry for our world and an irresistible adventure with a heart as big as a bear’s.
‘A dazzling debut . . . A magical, confidently told story – with beautiful illustrations by Levi Pinfold . . . I predict a roaring success’ The Times
About the author
Hannah Gold worked in the film and magazine industries before taking time out to pursue her dream of writing. She lives in Lincolnshire with her tortoise, her cat and her husband. This is her middle grade debut.
- ‘This is an important first novel, important for us, for polar bears, for the planet. It is deeply moving, beautifully told, quite unforgettable.’ – Michael Morpurgo
- ‘A lovely thing’ Katherine Rundell
- ‘A stunning debut, amplified by exquisite illustrations. This is a glorious gift’ Amanda Craig, New Statesman
- ‘A dazzling debut . . . A magical, confidently told story – with beautiful illustrations by Levi Pinfold . . . I predict a roaring success’ The Times Children’s Book of the Week
- ‘A lyrical debut’ Telegraph
- ‘This book evokes a powerful and tender relationship . . . and is a roaring call to protect the planet’ The Sunday Times
- ‘ . . . enchanting debut . . . This book is a delight’ Daily Mail
- ‘On one level this is pure escapist joy, an adventure story about the extraordinary bond between a child and an animal. But there is a deeper message at work, too. April shares the urgent concerns of so many young people about the environment, witnessing first-hand the impact of climate change. And Gold gives her the agency to make an impact, a move that will resonate with children who feel powerless. A beautiful, unforgettable début, enhanced by Pinfold’s breathtaking art.’ – Fiona Noble, The Bookseller
- ‘An utterly transporting story… Fierce and wild and full of hope. And Levi Pinfold’s artwork is DIVINE.’ – Abi Elphinstone, author of Sky Song
- ‘A triumph from start to finish’ – Nizrana Farook, author of The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
- ‘It might just be one of the most important children’s books of the decade… beautifully written, exciting and moving … as close to perfect as a children’s book can be’ – Linda Hill, LindasBookBag